New Add-On Projects Commenced in end 2015 and early 2016
With the ever growing confidence in the activities of TravAct, two external agencies have come forward to assist TravAct monetarily between 2015-2018 to execute the following two ambitious projects primarily aimed at the young Travellers of North Dublin. These Projects are likely to get a further fillip once the TravAct Youth Project starts functioning in Sep/Oct 2015:
1. Multi-Pronged Employment Generation Project. The elite St. Stephen’s Green Trust have nominated TravAct to receive a maximum of €10,000 for one year from 2015 to 2016 to run this Project for the Traveller Youth in North Dublin. Brief Project details are given below:
A.Objective, Activity and Timeframe: To train, qualify and licence 10 Traveller men annually for various remunerative employments which include mini-bus/coach driving, Heavy Goods Vehicles driving, Forklift Trucks driving, Security Industry employment and Fitness/Nutrition Industry employment between Sep 2015 to Sep 2018. In addition to the employment specific training/internship, all 10 men will be trained on the following compulsory courses to make them fit for the purpose of expected employment/self-employment. These courses/training will be arranged at no-cost basis in coordination with the NCU, Glin Road, Coolock, Dublin 17 and their affiliated Jobs Club at the same address:
- Solas certified Manual Handling Course (NCU Training)
- QQI/FETAC certified Workplace safety Course, Level 4 (NCU Training)
- QQI/FETAC certified Start your Own Business Course, Level 5 and Job Seeking Skills (NCU Jobs Club)
B.Affiliations for the Project. Multi-Pronged Employment Generation Project will be executed as a partnership project between TravAct and five private entities as indicated below:
- Airport Driving School, Unit 1A Jamestown Business Park Jamestown Road, Dublin 11
- Elsa Security; Darndale-Belcamp Village Centre. Dublin 17. Phone : (01) 867 8856
- NCU Training (Northside Centre for the Unemployed training Centre), Glin Centre, Glin Road, Coolock, Dublin 17. 01-8479463
- The Fitness Institute, Unit 19, St Olave’s, Malahide Road Industrial Park, Dublin. Phone: (01) 845 62665.
- Forklift Training Provider: European Lift Truck Training Services Ltd, Unit 3, Naas Road Business Park, Muirfield Dr, Dublin. Phone: 086 254 1808 or other providers
2. Dedicated Computer Training Centre for Traveller Youth. The Dublin Bus under its celebrated Community Spirit Awards have nominated TravAct for an initial grant of a maximum of €2000 for 2015-16 to establish a dedicated Computer Training Centre for Traveller Youth at TravAct premises. Initially a six-place Computer Centre will be established to be expanded later if required. Voluntary IT Instructors/Tutors will be engaged based on the funding situation. Northside Partnership will be approached to jointly execute this project for the large Traveller population in North Dublin.
3. TravAct Press Release-For 29 Sep 2015
Travellers Spearheading on the Education Highway
In a dramatic turn of events in the field of education, the Traveller Community in North Dublin has achieved a historic first amongst all comparable Traveller Communities across the Island. For the first time there is a group of 14 young Travellers who have achieved their Junior Certs in 2015 and may be largest group ever to enrol for the Leaving Certs going forward. It has been made possible through the sustained efforts of TravAct, a premier Traveller Support organisation.
In order not to let this event go unrecognised, and to benchmark and celebrate the fact that, on the educational front, the Traveller Community is gradually gaining higher standards, TravAct is celebrating this historic accomplishment on 29th Sep 2015 at its premises in Priorswood, Coolock, Dublin 17. The Day is being nominated as the ‘Education promotion Day for Travellers’ to recognise the achievement of these young people and to offer our congratulations. There will also be an opportunity to attend education-counselling and education-workshops on the day. The event, from 12 to 2 on the Day, culminates with a festive community lunch. And is likely to be attended by over 100 guests including public representatives, the media and other aspiring young Travellers and their parents. TravAct has extended an open invitation for all well-wishers to join in on the Day to celebrate and encourage the young achievers.